“If you know you want to be a healthcare professional, whether it’s in the emergency room or in the laboratory, then this book is right for you. If you don’t know at all if you want to be a healthcare professional, then this book is STILL right for you.”– Sage R, 13 years old
WINNER OF THE
2021 IBPA BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SILVER AWARD, Young Adult: Non-Fiction
2021 IBPA BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SILVER AWARD, Reference
2020 READERS’ FAVORITE SILVER MEDAL, Non-Fiction: Occupational
2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS FINALIST, Business: Careers
2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS FINALIST, Young Adult: Non-Fiction
Healthcare Heroes: The Medical Careers Guide gives you the unfiltered, unedited, no-holds-barred version of what it’s really like to be a healthcare professional in the 21st century. This award-winning book features some of the best and top healthcare jobs highlighted in the U.S. News & World Report. It serves as a useful resource for readers of all ages, whether they be in middle school, high school, college or already out in the workforce.
With expert insights and strategies, this book helps readers find their best career path in the medical field. The chapters are written by healthcare professionals who provide a personal touch and share their extensive knowledge and expertise through their journey into each of their professions. Will there be a few surprises? Count on it.
Each chapter provides an overview of the profession, salary range, specialty and sub-specialty areas of employment, methods of exploring the career, educational requirements and information on the long-term employment outlook. This book also features a day in the life of the healthcare professional, strategies to succeed in the career and a list of helpful websites and references.
Did you know that healthcare is a rapidly growing field? The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment in healthcare occupations will grow by at least 14% through 2028, adding at least 1.9 million new jobs. This healthcare growth will add jobs to the workforce much faster than the average for all other occupations. Don’t you want to be a part of this growing trend and make a difference in the lives of patients? Start your journey towards a healthcare career today!
A PANEL OF EXPERTS
- Surgical Technologist……Mark Fusco, CST
- Pharmacist……Mary Choy, PharmD, BCGP, FASHP
- Pharmacy Technician…….Zachary Green, CPhT
- Osteopathic Physician……Marita R. Powell, DO
- Registered Nurse……Eileen DeVries, BSN, RN, OCN, CBCN
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist…Michael Greco, PhD, DNP,CRNA
- Managed Care Case Manager….Anne Llewellyn, RN-BC, MS, BHSA, CCM, CRRN
- Physician Assistant……Julie Gruber, PA-C, MPAS
- Veterinarian……Robin K. Solomon, DVM
- Phlebotomist……J. Spencer Verner, RN
- Dentist……Paul Albicocco, DMD, MS
- Dental Hygienist……Catherine Monchik, RDH, BA
- Dietitian Nutritionist……Carolyn DiMicco, RD, CDN
- Orthodontist……Robert J. Peterman, DMD, MDS
- Podiatrist/Podiatric Surgeon……Kamilla Danilova, DPM
- Biomedical Engineer……Randal Chinnock, BS
- Clinical Counseling Psychologist……Pamela J. Ginsberg, Ph.D.
- Physical Therapist……Michael Lazara, PT, DPT
- Occupational Therapist……Maria Serrano-Miranda, OTR/L
- Social Worker……Suzannah Callaghan, LCSW
- Music Therapist……Rachel N. Schwartz, MA, MT-BC, LCAT, CASAC
- Art Therapist……Lucia Perez-Kleine, MA, LCAT, ATR-BC, LMHC
- Medical Imaging Technologist….Young-Ju Chang BS, RT(R)(MR) ARRT, CRT
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist……Rova Lee-Huang, MS, CLT
- Speech and Language Pathologist……Lauren B. Schwartz, MA, CCC-SLP
- Emergency Medical Technician……Lenny Nathan, BA, EMT
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representative……Richard C. Adrian, BA
- Medical Writer……Michele B. Kaufman, PharmD, BCGP